Sunday, February 26, 2012

Before I Go To SleepBefore I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The amnesia is what made me read this book. I found it an interesting idea and wondered how the author would portray the main character's experiences. And in all honesty, I think he did a great job.

Some people will say there's some repetition here and there, but I think that's what makes the story even more real, after all, it's how Christine experiences her life.

Was the middle of the story a little boring? Perhaps so, but it didn't keep me from reading. I'm a person who loves to read stories that have a high 'close to reality' factor and it's a rare thing when every single day consists of adrenaline rushes and breath-taking action. However, the middle part of the story wasn't just some random, senseless pages to fill the book. Looking back to everything that happened between the part where I felt the story really began (I think you'll know when you read it), and the revelations at the end, I feel that everything that's written there has importance. If not only for the progress Christine makes.

Before I started reading "Before I go to sleep", I read some reviews and comments about it and some of them said the plot-line was 'obvious' and 'predictable', but I feel like I have to disagree. Throughout the entire story, I felt like there was something bigger going on, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

With anticipation, I continued to read and the more I read, the harder it became to put the book aside. The ending was satisfying, yet, I wouldn't have mind to find out what happens the next day. Either way, it was a really good book and I enjoyed reading it.

I give "Before I Go To Sleep" 3.5/5, but since I have to choose between 3 and 4, I'll go for 4.

In short: "Before I Go To Sleep" is the story of Christine, a woman who suffers from amnesia. Every morning, she wakes up only to find that half her life has passed her by and she can't remember any of it. Time and time again, her husband Ben has to tell her everything that happened up until that moment. But, when you can't remember any of it, who's to say what's real and what's not?

View all my reviews

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

When you were little, you wanted to grow up to be a _________?

Uhm...let me think. I wanted to be a mom, then I wanted to be a singer, hairdresser, school teacher. Oh, and most of all though, I wanted to be sixteen. Because for some weird and unexplainable reason I figured that the age of 16 was the best. And now, well, sixteen happened a while back and I didn't even notice :S

Ask me anything

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Plans for 2012

This year I hope to finish editing Absolute Contamination and start the publishing process while I'm at it. I'm not sure yet if I want to do it the traditional way or go for self-publishing. I've heard/read many different opinions so far, but I have yet to make up my own mind.

Next, I'd like to finish writing Sixteen Moons and restart Carrying The Weight Of The World. I have to make a lot of changes in that last story, but I really want to finish it. I wrote about 75% so far, and now I'd like to change what needs to be changed and finish the remaining 25% of the story.

Lastly, I also want to finish the translation of Absolute Contamination. I started this near the end of 2011 and I want it to be completed in 2012.

Seeing all of this makes me doubt if I'll be able to complete all of it, but I'm really going to do my best and try to get as much done as possible.

My resolutions for 2012:
- All of the above
- Have driving lessons
- Find some kind of structure in my days
- Read 50 books (challenge on Goodreads)
- Buy 1 book a month
- Quit biting my nails 
- Blog, Tweet and Facebook more frequently

Now all I have to do is wait for the end of the year to come to find out just how much of these I managed to succeed in...